18 May 2012

Homemade citrus jelly

To celebrate the start of nicer, warmer weather I’m sharing this super easy jelly recipe. I wish I could say I invented it myself cuz its brilliant, but I didn’t. I’ve seen it on tv somewhere and though darn, that’s a great recipe. Unfortunately I don’t quit remember where and from whom the recipe is. All I know is that the original recipe was made with lots of mandarins. 

I love mandarins (when they are in season) but they aren’t anymore. And my mom still buys them so I ended up with 2 kilo’s of mandarins that weren’t really tasty to eat like that. But they are great for this jelly!

I ended up using all the citrus fruits I had. For this jelly I use:
- whole bunch of mandarins
- some Minneola tangelos (a crossing between a grapefruit and a tangerine)
- some oranges
- 5 sheets of gelatin (7,5 gram)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 sharon fruit (kaki or persimmon) 
Do you like my squeezer? It’s a UFO and so super cute. And very helpful too. I normally stick a fork in half a citrus and twist it around till all the juice is out, but this works a lot better for a big bunch like this. 
I squeezed all the citrus till I had about 500 ml of juice. After tasting it I decided to add 2 tablespoons of sugar to make it a bit sweeter. I also added a pinch of salt.

I like my jelly smooth so after straining the juice a splash went in a bowl so it can heat it in the microwave for a couple of seconds. I need some warm juice so I could dissolve the gelatin. I always soak the gelatin sheets in some cold water first till they are flexible and rubbery. This would make them dissolve better. 
When the gelatin is completely mixed I added it to the rest of the juice. I pealed one sharon fruit and diced it in little cubes.
I added a couple of cubes in a little container and poured in the juice. After wrapping them up in plastic foil they all went in the fridge.
Crossing my fingers that they’ll set…and they did! 
I enjoyed my jelly lots. It’s a great way of using citrus fruits. 
I’m off doing my yard…most of my plants survived the harsh winter so I’m very pleased. Hopefully this year we’ll have lots of blueberries, raspberries, figs, strawberries and herbs. I love homegrown food!  

2 comments:

  1. This jelly looks incredible - looks like my spooning has a new home :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to try this with my 3 year old now.

    ReplyDelete

I’m curious by nature so please share whatever is on your mind.